Prominent football agent Mino Raiola made it known on April 28 that he was very much alive after erroneous reports on social media claimed that he had died.
The Italian’s doctor says Raiola is fighting for his life in a Milan hospital, but he joined the agent to condemn the fake news spread on social media.
Those reports on April 28 claimed that the Italian had passed away at the age of 54, only for Raiola to post an update on social media confirming he was alive, and expressing his disgust at the developments.
Raiola sent a message to his followers on Twitter amid the speculation over his health, which read:
“Current health status for the ones wondering: pissed off second time in 4 months they kill me. Seem also able to resuscitate.”
Current health status for the ones wondering: pissed off second time in 4 months they kill me. Seem also able to ressuscitate.
— Mino Raiola (@MinoRaiola) April 28, 2022
Raiola not dead: Reports quashed
Raiola’s close friend Jose Fortes Rodriguez was among those slamming the reports of his death, telling De Telegraaf: “Mino isn’t dead. Those reports are nonsense.”
Doctor Alberto Zangrillo from San Raffaele Hospital in Milan told Italian news agency Ansa: “I’m outraged by the phone calls from pseudo-journalists speculating on the life of a man who is fighting to survive.”
Raiola had previously been hospitalised in January 2022 and underwent surgery on an unspecified issue.
A statement from his official Twitter account at the time read: “Mino Raiola is undergoing ordinary medical checks that require anesthesia. All was planned and no emergency surgery happened.”
In addition to the vast number of news outlets to falsely report Raiola’s death, Real Madrid also posted a message of condolence via their official social media channels.
The post, which has now been deleted, read: “Real Madrid CF, its president and its Board of Directors deeply regret the death of Mino Raiola and would like to express their condolences, their affection and their affection to all his relatives and loved ones.”
Hace unas horas se publicaba la muerte del famoso representante Mino Raiola, en distintos portales internaciones, hasta la cuenta oficial del Real Madrid se expresó.
Hace un momento, el propio Raiola, en su cuenta de Twitter desmintió su fallecimiento. Increíble pic.twitter.com/cRoxdEVngU
— Walter Estigarribia (@Estigarribiapy_) April 28, 2022
Raiola’s player list
Raiola’s star-studded client list includes the likes of Paul Pogba, Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Erling Haaland, and in 2020 it was reported that he had a net worth of £62 million ($77 million).
He’s been in the spotlight in recent months with interest growing in Haaland, who is expected to transfer from Borussia Dortmund to a new club in the summer with a long line of top clubs looking to pay the Norwegian striker top dollar. Raiola has a reputation for securing big-money contracts for his clients.
Matthijs de Ligt’s €73 million (£62 million / $77 million) move to Juventus from Ajax in 2019 was overseen by Raiola. He was also involved in Gianluigi Donnarumma’s free transfer to Paris Saint-Germain following his AC Milan exit in 2021.
Raiola represents Italy duo Mario Balotelli and Marco Verratti too, as well as Ajax’s latest prospect Ryan Gravenberch, and Inter’s Denzel Dumfries.